Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sher's Scallion Ginger Chicken Linguini

I first started blogging in December 2005 when I was unemployed and bored. I pretty immediately turned to looking up recipes online, to feed my new-found craving for cooking from scratch. The first food blog I fell in love with was Chocolate & Zucchini. The next was What Did You Eat? I don't remember how I stumbled upon Sher's blog in February 2006, but I fell in love instantly. My recipe bookmark folder filled up with her recipes. She didn't have much at that time, as she had only been blogging a few months herself, but enough to make me realize I'd found a kindred spirit in tastes. Later, I followed her into Weekend Cat Blogging and Colin, my new upstart kitten, became the star of my old blog.

It's 2 1/2 years and many posts/comments/emails later, and Sher has passed on. She died less than a week ago. I found out today after I clicked on her blog to see if she'd posted anything new. When five days had passed and nothing, I was concerned. I knew she was in ill health and the last time she let so much time pass without blogging, she was in the hospital. No, it was the unthinkable. There's a big hole in my heart. My kitchen is feeling that big without her.

I emailed my husband Barrett the news and his reply was, "Is there a tribute meal you wanna do together tonight?" He knows me so well.

A small part of me thinks that I should make this, since she created this recipe with me (and Anne) specifically in mind. And I will make this soon. But I truly feel there's only one tribute meal I can do to honor Sher tonight and that's the first recipe of hers I made: her Scallion Ginger Chicken Linguini. Whenever I make it, and the smell of the scallions and ginger fills the air, my kitchen doesn't feel so big after all. She's right there with me.

"What's for dinner, guys?!"


The meat inspector checks for bacteria and deliciousness.


The chopping of the greens. I adore chopping scallions.


Sher suggested one cup of scallions, but I can't resist--I have to throw in more. And yeah, jarred ginger. So sue me! I loathe peeling and chopping up roots. Besides, the pureed ginger works really well in the "sauce."


The chicken is all ready to go.


In go the green onions and ginger . . .


And then the linguini, soy sauce, sesame oil, etc.


And the final touch, one of Sher's most favorite flavorings, THE CILANTRO!


The inspector sniffs the final result and approves, despite the distinct lack of tuna in this dish.


Here's to you, Sher, you fantastic lady. You will never be forgotten. And just in case there was any doubt, check out all the tributes to you over at your dear friend Glenna's.

10 comments:

Heather said...

I'll toast to that as well. To Sher!

anne said...

Such a lovely tribute, Shan. She would have loved it, stem to stern.

A toast to the wonderful Sher from NY - you will always be in our hearts, and in our kitchens.

Glenna said...

Beautiful post! You made me cry all over again--but that's a good thing! May we all raise our glass, eh? Wonderful pictures to go with. Thanks so much, Shannon.

sammawow said...

I'm glad that you are continuing to blog. That recipe of Sher's looks delicious - it's good that the inspector approves! Tomorrow I am making Sher's recipe from April 10th - Pasta Shells stuffed with Lamb, Feta Cheese and Spinach. I can't believe that she is gone.

Kristi said...

Beautiful tribute, Shannon. Sher would be proud. I still cannot believe she's gone...

Astrid (…and the kitties too) said...

wonderful tribute! She was so amazing wasn't she? I am raising my glass to her!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Loving tribute Shannon!

Kalyn Denny said...

What a nice tribute to Sher. I am also going to miss her so much.

Christine said...

This is a lovely tribute to Sher, Shannon. She would be so pleased.

Unknown said...

hi
i havent tried any recipes of yours but i do love the pics of your cats. I really like Colin